DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n+ Wireless Stalling

More
04 May 2014 19:17 #13 by ayrhead
Replied by ayrhead on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
I cannot believe I this wifi issue with the 2860n.

I always buy Draytek routers but after having BT Infinity installed recently I was tempted by the ASUS AC68U.

The ASUS router\wireless was hopeless though and kept rebooting every 45 mins. I had to install a very old version of the firmware in order to make it stable.
After the latest version of the firmware was released a few weeks ago and it did not fix the issue I decided I had had enough and bought a 2860N as I trusted Draytek given my past experience with the products.

Well what a mistake that was! This router is even worse that the ASUS. The Wireless on this router is even more unstable! Currently I am loosing connection every 20 mins or so.
Its not just my laptop that's the issue its ALL wireless devices in the house and I know its not my devices because when I have the old version of the ASUS firmware they all work perfectly

So I have now spent over £400 on 2 routers and both of them are an absolute joke. How do these things get out the factory when they clearly don't work?

Only going to wait a few weeks this time and if not resolved I am going to return this 2860n for a full refund.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• faris
  • User
  • User
More
04 May 2014 21:40 #14 by faris
Replied by faris on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
The complexity of these things is staggering, so some issues are to be expected. But it does look like there's a QA issue with firmware updates.

If it was an issue with one type of device (e.g. in the past some Apple stuff had problems with some WiFi routers, I think) I could understand it, but we're talking about every device everyone here has tried.

My suggestion at this point to the powers that be would be to increase the number of regular firmware beta testers. And maybe throw a carrot in - like whoever finds the most bugs in 12 months gets a prize, be it the latest router, or an amazon gift card, or similar.

More
05 May 2014 07:55 #15 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
I think a wider beta team would not necessarily find issues which are 3rd party hardware dependent...I.e. If most people don't have this problem then I guess it's only with some particular laptops/devices/chipsets etc... But work with support to eliminate, giving them as much info as possible.

Forum Administrator

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
05 May 2014 08:56 #16 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
When i was with Virgin Media Beta tester for their new SH2, we was about 300 people ... we did find couple of bugs (their modem/router was with less features/settings than the Drayteks which plays ma role having more features) but still when the firmware released out officially other people did find bugs that we did not notice ...

How ever Is good idea some people out here like some of us who know some basics or have more 3rd party devices to try some betas just before they release out, i think is still a helpful move

As a Draytek user with 6 devices, in 3 cases when a new firmware released the next day i have spotted few bugs, send it to the support and they did not fix right away, seems they have to confirm first and by the time test if the bug is correct or released a fix is taking ages

• aitcheff2
  • User
  • User
More
05 May 2014 11:15 #17 by aitcheff2
Replied by aitcheff2 on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
I have been having similar issues on a 2860.

I find this occurs whenever we have a visitor with an iPhone5 and I allow them onto our WiFi. It has happened with 2 different iPhone 5's at different times. On one of them I checked that they were on the latest i/OS version.

We have an old iPad(latest iOS), an iPhone 3GS (on iOS6) and several Android devices which are connected as a matter of course and have no problems. My daughters have iPhone 4S phones and initially I had this issue when they visited until I got them to upgrade to the latest iOS versions. Now they connect without affecting my network.

It does sound crazy but I'm wondering whether there is some oddity in the iPhone5's Wifi implementation that is at the root of this problem?

• macximum
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 May 2014 12:04 #18 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
I primarily run Apple equipment with my 2860n+ and so do my clients along with a mixture of various equipment.

In particular I personally have an iPhone5 (not S or C), running the latest iOS.

In my case the iPhone5 would most certainly have been somewhere on the network -probably asleep- when the problem occurs but I would have actually been using a MacBook Pro (2013 retina) or iPad2 or iPhone4S when it was noticed. When I get a chance I will power off the iPhone5 and see if the stall still happens.

I'm currently quite happily running with an alternative AP and certainly an improvement over the 2860n+ as it's a 802.11ac AP!
The DrayTek remains in control of the network but the wireless is disabled until a solution is found!

This 'stalling wifi' situation is not ideal for those of you that have purchased an otherwise expensive router that is not able to do what it states on the box!