Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n+ Wireless Stalling

• sam.thompson
  • User
  • User
More
09 May 2014 10:27 #43 by sam.thompson
Replied by sam.thompson on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
I too was provided with a BETA firmware yesterday, although I haven't had the opportunity to apply it yet. For anyone else who wants to try, the link is: http://www.draytek.co.uk/download/support/files/v2860_375Test_1_r40631.zip .

I was also told:

Edward @ Draytek Support wrote:
If the wireless is still unstable then i would say to keep an eye on the link below for any new official firmware release, as it is most likely a firmware issue.

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2860/

This morning I queried whether this BETA release specifically addressed this issue (there were no release notes included). I also pointed out that suggesting I wait for a future firmware release was not an acceptable solution to this problem, as this issue effectively renders the router unfit for purpose. I received the following reply:

Edward @ Draytek Support wrote:
The beta firmware is something you can try if your wish. I do not have release notes on what the firmware includes, i normally ask customers to try the latest beta firmware as a test, as in most cases it helps with the issue they are having. I asked to keep any eye on the firmware download link as this is where future firmware and Release notes appear.

I am not aware of any issues with the Wireless on the 2860N series router. this is why is suggested alternative channels, Security mode etc, just as a troubleshooting step. So if you are still experiencing wireless issues, it may be an isolated issue with your unit.

If you belive the unit is not fit for purpose then you could contact your re seller to see if they will accept a return.

Sadly it seems Draytek support is not what it used to be. I've requested that my ticket is escalated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2014 10:39 #44 by fazzauk
Replied by fazzauk on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
You might be onto something.
WPA/WPA2 have the issue for me. WEP reduces speed massively but still appeared to have the issue every so often although would recover quicker.
OPEN - For the 20 mins I was playing with it, I couldn't re-produce the issue.

Could do with more people testing though.

UPDATE: Urgh, that beta firmware just causes my router to reboot constantly when one of my wifi devices attaches. So much worse. Had to disable wifi adapters on all clients, then disable wifi on the router in order to flash back to 3.7.4.1. Be careful :)

• sam.thompson
  • User
  • User
More
09 May 2014 11:36 #45 by sam.thompson
Replied by sam.thompson on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling

FazzaUK wrote: Urgh, that beta firmware just causes my router to reboot constantly when one of my wifi devices attaches. So much worse. Had to disable wifi adapters on all clients, then disable wifi on the router in order to flash back to 3.7.4.1. Be careful :)

Thanks Fazza. I was considering trying it over lunchtime this afternoon when most of the staff were out, but I'll definitely wait until out-of-hours.

More
09 May 2014 18:08 #46 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling

Sam.Thompson wrote: Sadly it seems Draytek support is not what it used to be. I've requested that my ticket is escalated.

Bit rude! The technician's reply seems quite polite to me... if it's not a commonly known or recognised problem, troubleshooting/elimination is an essential part of narrowing it down while it's checked with the engineers in the meantime!

Forum Administrator

• plittlemore
  • User
  • User
More
09 May 2014 23:25 #47 by plittlemore
Replied by plittlemore on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling

faris wrote: The complexity of these things is staggering, so some issues are to be expected. But it does look like there's a QA issue with firmware updates.

If it was an issue with one type of device (e.g. in the past some Apple stuff had problems with some WiFi routers, I think) I could understand it, but we're talking about every device everyone here has tried.

My suggestion at this point to the powers that be would be to increase the number of regular firmware beta testers. And maybe throw a carrot in - like whoever finds the most bugs in 12 months gets a prize, be it the latest router, or an amazon gift card, or similar.

Or how about giving everyone who has the problem an AP-900 as the wireless in the router isn't working as it should?

• mikacom
  • User
  • User
More
10 May 2014 21:00 #48 by mikacom
Replied by mikacom on topic Re: 2860n+ Wireless Stalling
Purely for information purposes;

I have today downgraded to the 3.7.3.2 FW from Taiwan FTP, again using the .rst version.

Only config performed, was setting wan and internet access, and WLAN to WPA2/PSK g and n modes.

That was it. but connection Still Dropping.

Going to try reverting to 3.7.3 tomorrow, but think it will have to be recovery mode tftp method as the webui and FTP wont let me do it.