Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac WiFi Problems

• chiily
  • Topic Author
More
28 May 2018 22:22 #1 by chiily
2862ac WiFi Problems was created by chiily
Hi,

I thought I would recount the problems I'm having with a DrayTek 2862ac router. First off, I thought I was buying a business grade router, but it performs worst than my old BT HomeHub6...

Three major problems:

1. The 2.4Ghz network loses its connection to the ADSL (WAN). It does this three, four times a day. Only a reboot of the router will fix the problem. Starting and stopping the 2.4 network doesn't fix the problem.

2. The 2.4 and 5GHz networks disappear. Just vanish. A reboot is required to get them back.

3. Devices report that they can't connect to either WiFi networks, indicating an authentication error. These devices worked a few minutes ago, but now the devices complain that the WiFi password isn't correct. Off to reboot the router again.

In all the router gets rebooted at least three times a day.

The WiFi spectrum is not polluted. We live in the middle of nowhere, a WiFi scan indicates that only our WiFi can be 'seen' in the house.

I have tried 3.8.8 and 3.8.8.2 firmware. Both I've performed factory resets re-building the config and re-flash retaining settings. Neither makes a different, the three problems manifest themselves.

I'm not impressed, nor is my wife, who runs her business from home, relying on VOIP to call people. A business grade router, I don't think so.

I've not read anything definite on how to solve the problems, other than reduce the power of the WiFi or downgrade to 3.8.5... Really? Are things that bad at Draytek that they don't test stuff?

I'm pretty disgruntled with the whole affair.

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bjs123
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jun 2018 17:21 #2 by bjs123
Replied by bjs123 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Similar issues with a 2862ac. WiFi disappearing at random requiring reboots, Apple devices refusing to stay connected to 5Ghz, VoIP very flakey and slow connection speeds. Seriously considering going back to the old BT HH5.

More
17 Jun 2018 19:20 #3 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
What firmware are you running?

I'm trying the 3.8.9.1 from the .com site at the moment. The official UK "_BT" version cannot be far off.

I'm seeing 5GHz issues as well, predominantly with Apple devices, and I have an open support case. I'm finding the issue very difficult to pin down the boundaries of, and intermittent. For a long time 3.8.8.2_BT was unexplainably more stable for 5GHz than 3.8.8_BT, but then I started getting similar issues, again predominately with Apple devices,(they reoccurred after going briefly to 3.8.9 from the .com site, and quickly back to 3.8.8.2_BT, but not quite the same as before. Now I have a feeling 3.8.9.1 is playing similar tricks with me. Being a bit more stable for a while. I've been testing this-afternoon, and It is misbehaving sometimes (MacBook sometimes slow to commence communicating over a newly connected wi-fi). Once running though it seems to be stable.

A couple of suggestions - do try the newer firmware when it is officially released in the UK - it DOES have some 5GHz fixes (well should, as long as the fix list includes the '3.8.9 fixes' from the .com site version). Just not necessarily the ones that WE are looking for.

I find Apple devices connect more stably with the "EAPOL key retry disable" setting left in its default state, (that's allowing 'EAPOL key retry' - not as secure but at least it connects!).

I've never had to reboot anything to get wi-fi connecting again.

I DO also have VDSL stability issues - I currently have my 2862ac backed on to a competitors router until I get that issue resolved (as that router is rock solid, syncs faster and never drops out). I might suggest checking your DSL interface stats to see if it is connecting as stable as your copper can support (I'm thinking this might be your 'flaky voip' and 'speed' issues)

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
21 Jun 2018 09:20 #4 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
This does seem to be a common trend of late and Draytek don't appear to be doing anything about it.
I'm sorry I cannot give you any constructive input to sort it either!

I've posted several threads on problems I've had exactly like this, with a pure Draytek controlled environment.

Both 2860ac & 2862ac exhibited the exact same behavior as mentioned above - only disabling the wireless on the router seemed to solve it (defeats the object)!

I am primarily using Apple equipment, Mac OS and iOS devices - some wired, most wireless.

I have just updated to 3.8.9.1_BT on my 2862ac and have re-enabled the wireless on the router to see if it makes an ounce of difference, although as soon as I get 'incorrect password' or kicked off of the wi-fi, the wireless will be disabled until I can test again with another firmware, as I just cannot work otherwise!

• bjs123
  • User
  • User
More
21 Jun 2018 22:50 #5 by bjs123
Replied by bjs123 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Just updated to 3.8.9.1_BT, will see how that goes and report back.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
21 Jun 2018 23:21 #6 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
My 2862ac went to pieces after the update and re-enabling the wireless, my internal network slowed down and I couldn't access the Draytek router's web interface on the LAN... had to go in to the web interface via 4G on my mobile to deactivate both 5Ghz (tried that first) and then finally 2.4GHz before the network stabilised and came back to normal.

I'm still running the latest firmware 3.8.9.1_BT - but I'm fearful of updating most of my clients routers, following these problems.

It might not be long before I'm looking for another brand to be fair.