DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac WiFi Problems

More
20 Oct 2020 08:54 #55 by andrew2010
Replied by andrew2010 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Yep - all my devices are Apple and I've never looked back with the Decos for WiFi, whilst using the Vigor for everything else. A shame to have to buy more kit but it's just not worth the time and frustration to mess around with Draytek 'wireless' IMHO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• matty-uk_1978
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2020 14:59 #56 by matty-uk_1978
Replied by matty-uk_1978 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I’ve also now given up on Draytek’s wireless. I’ve gone for TP-Link Deco M9 Plus triple pack. Still using the Vigor as the base unit.

• tonysanders
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2022 19:57 #57 by tonysanders
Replied by tonysanders on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
15 months late to this topic but I have had poor performance with 2.4GHz on a 2862n. Tons of troubleshooting and I am left suspecting it's simply down to poor radio hardware. I have a couple of AP903's wired to my 2862 and the AP903's perform better (but not fantastic). I could, as some have suggested, get another AP903 and put it next to the 2862 and turn WiFi off on the 2862 but I really don't want yet another AP to get the coverage I need and I am talking relatively small distances. Instead I have taken the plunge and ordered a 2866ax based on the fact it's RF hardware is different and hopefully solves the issue (if not it will get returned pdq being 3 times the price of another AP903). My problems arrive when I try to use more than one SSID on 2.4GHz. No problems on 5GHz. I need 2.4GHz for IOT devices which still seem to be mainly 2.4GHz (doubtless because of the range of 2.4GHz (2862 excepted !)). I may try some beefed up antennas if the 2866ax is not better. I am a big fan of Draytek but this experience has been a bit depressing and very time consuming. I'll post the outcome here.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
04 Apr 2022 10:38 #58 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I gave up and use the Draytek as the firewall/router, but Unifi equipment for wifi. Unifi wifi management is a breath of fresh air, even though its not cheap. One or two devices will cover the average home I suspect.

Draytek missed the boat on wifi. I, like you, am reluctant to give it up, but their wifi is not fit for purpose.

I suggest you try Unifi if you continue to have issues.

I have some suspicion that the throughout of the draytek is not quite as advertised (I may be wrong, just a suspicion). If that proves to be the case, I will unfortunately have to move away from Draytek altogether. Rather not, but can't be foolishly loyal.

• tonysanders
  • User
  • User
More
05 Apr 2022 20:01 #59 by tonysanders
Replied by tonysanders on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I fixed my issues today - message came up on my iPhone to say that there was channel interference on 2.4GHz - turns out I had left one of my two AP903s on the same 2.4GHz channel as my 2862n - separated the channels and everything on 2.4GHz is working as it should be. Now the range is not great on a 2862n but it doesn't need to be in my house. I thought I had checked the channels used in my house - but no - silly error on my part !
As Flash2 recommended I had a real good look at UniFi - it looks awesome and their customers clearly love it - if I get any more problems I will switch to UniFi and keep Draytek for routing.

More
05 Apr 2022 22:12 #60 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Are you sure? I think you'd need to wait a wee while to be able to confirm that the issue has been addressed.

Like you, I do think the WiFi issue is down to poor hardware chips implemented on Draytek.