Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac WiFi Problems

• peterg22
  • User
  • User
More
06 Aug 2020 14:17 #43 by peterg22
Replied by peterg22 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I'm really hoping this will be fixed by a firmware upgrade...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2020 15:15 #44 by andrew2010
Replied by andrew2010 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I have just given up on Draytek's wireless. I've been battling for literally years with it. I've purchased a mesh WiFi system from another provider and commissioned it today. I hope it performs better. So far, so good.

I think the best tactic is to use a Draytek router/modem for its significant capabilities but a different brand for all WiFi access. I spotted someone else here saying that Draytek doesn't use the word "WiFi" or the WiFi logo because it's not a member of the WiFi Alliance and/or doesn't get its products certified by it. I don't know of that's true (although in a search for certified products got no returns for "Draytek") - but it might be worth noting.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
07 Aug 2020 10:20 #45 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Almost exactly what I said in an earlier post on this thread - Draytek wifi has been faulty for years. What Mesh system did you go for Andrew?

I've a Velop being tested and an Ubiquiti node waiting to be tested. Velop has good signal but not very configurable.

More
07 Aug 2020 11:42 #46 by andrew2010
Indeed. I went for the TP-Link Deco X60 triple pack – a fairly new WiFi 6 AX product. They can use Ethernet backhaul as well as mesh (though sadly not POE and not a Homekit router, as yet anyway, which I would have liked). They can be set up as access points behind the router. Set-up was very easy. I would perhaps like a bit more transparency in places, but so far am pleased and the kids have stopped complaining to sysadmin every day! :) I still hope DrayTek sort themselves out.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
07 Aug 2020 11:51 #47 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Was looking at that one also. So you've a Draytek as your main firewall, with wifi disabled, and the Deco in bridge mode as your wireless network.

Pretty much the same approach I will get to. I am trying the Ubiquiti but it seems you have to have a whole network of their equipment brand to really use it properly, so may opt for Deco also, provided many functions aren't locked up in subscriptions.

At least we are still confident to rely on the Draytek firewal/router, to those losing heart reading this thread. There appears no better, feature filled firewall that I can find (yet).

I wonder what you're internet connect speed is rated at? I'm at 300mb and I'm not sure which router will actually handle it (used a 2860 on a slower connection, but not sure it could handle such speeds with active firewall etc).

More
07 Aug 2020 12:20 #48 by andrew2010
That's right.

Deco offers a subscription (after a free period) for anti-virus, parental controls and QoS. I don't need any of them - believing that good AV needs to be per device given that most of them are mobile, and the QoS is handled well by the DrayTek at the connection point. And not using such services means better data security and privacy.

Talking of which, I ruled out Ubiquiti for reasons of privacy - something I read about their policies was worrying. Router manufacturers need to understand that businesses have to be ultra careful on that.

I agree - it's hard to better DrayTek for most other features of you want a solid and secure firewalled router.

Our connection is average - 35mbps on the VDSL - but I've recently added an LTE WAN with an external antenna, which with load balancing adds another 15-20mbps. More for the failover value of it but nice to have extra bandwidth via an unlimited data package from Three.

Next step is to figure out high availability via two 2860s - although I do wonder if it just shifts the single point of failure from the router to the switch...