DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac WiFi Problems

More
25 Jun 2018 22:15 #13 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems

manicguitarist wrote: I can get the syslog from the AP900 for my iThing issues - but the 2926ac doesn't seem to record WiFi details in the syslog (at least doesn't write it to the USB device). Where can I find this info?

It can write it to the USB Syslog, but you need the right kind of tailwind, and some patience.

One of the issues I have an open call about at the moment is USB syslog stopping unexpectedly. Prior to 3.8.9.1, it would randomly just stop, NOW it just fails to restart by itself after a router reboot.

In "System Maintenance", "Syslog /Mail alert" Tick "Enable", "USB Disk", and a selection of categories at the bottom of the LH column, I'd recommend not including "user Access log" as that will drown out other useful info.

If logging stops (or does not restart after a reboot) Untick "Enable" press OK, re-tick "Enable" and press OK.

Re iThingies and Draytek 5GHz - leave EAPOL key retry allowed. If a macbook is involved, I'd be interested in knowing if it's getting an IP address (and if it is, how long after wi-fi channel establishment before 'arp -a' shows that the macbook knows the Dratek's MAC address...).

x64

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chiily
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jul 2018 20:42 #14 by chiily
Replied by chiily on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Well, I've bitten the bullet. Replaced the 2862ac with my old BT HH6. Much better WIFI coverage, doesn't crash or need rebooting every day. I've sent the DrayTek back with a note that I don't want another one back!

More
15 Jul 2018 06:58 #15 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems

Chiily wrote: Well, I've bitten the bullet. Replaced the 2862ac with my old BT HH6. Much better WIFI coverage, doesn't crash or need rebooting every day. I've sent the DrayTek back with a note that I don't want another one back!

What clients are you using ?

Forum Administrator

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
03 Aug 2018 11:33 #16 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
fw3.8.9.2 is coming with improvements (only available on US website so far)...

One of the release note points...

"Corrected: The wireless device was able to connect to WLAN (2.4G). After disconnecting WLAN (2.4G), the device was unable to reconnect to WLAN (5G) and received error message of wrong security key."

Is this the answer to our prayers?

• joners
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
12 Jan 2019 10:34 #17 by joners
Replied by joners on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
So, how are you all finding the 3.9 fw?

Personally I’m finding the WiFi absolutely terrible, still.

I’d bought the 2862ac to replace an Edgerouter X and UniFi AP-AC-Lite. I wanted an AIO solution for the house. I’ve used draytek routers for 10years and have always been reasonably pleased with them. We ran anywhere 100-150 at any one time and only had the odd issue until the release of the 2860, at that point we found the firmwares so buggy that we dropped Draytek entirely. Come back around a couple of years later and I thought I’d give the 2862ac a go. WiFi performance and general system stability are shocking.

Back to the Edgerouter X.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jan 2019 11:15 #18 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems

joners wrote: So, how are you all finding the 3.9 fw?

Personally I’m finding the WiFi absolutely terrible, still.

Yup, have to agree. Still struggling to maintain overall stability between 2 x AP910c's and a 2862ac, I have now created a dedicated 2.4GHz SSID for devices that are not comfortable negotiating between 5GHz and 2.4GHz or that don't support 5GHz all together. When I disable the 2862ac's wireless and substitute it for another AP910c all the problems disappear (still using a dedicated 2.4GHz to care for all the 'cheaper' home automation devices)!

I just wish they could unify the settings between their router range and the access points, it's like the firmware is produced by different companies! None of the settings seem to either be called the same, match or are in the same place!

It would just be easier if we could copy a wireless profile from one device to another no matter what model, even across devices types... wireless enabled routers and access points etc.