Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac WiFi Problems

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
10 Mar 2020 15:36 #25 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Couldn't agree more (sorry for the late reply)... I wonder if the new APs they have released over the past month or so make any difference or still suffer with the same issues.

Flash2 wrote:
I have decided to cut out Draytek wifi altogether with my new premises. I will opt for a thrid party mesh system like Linksys Velop or Netgear. I've forgotten what its like to have reliable wifi.

I will hopefully still go for a Draytek router as a firewall & VPN server for the network though.

Drayteks are losing popularity because of this wifi issue I think - real shame.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2020 16:12 #26 by andrew2010
Replied by andrew2010 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I too have suffered terrible problems with 5G on a 2860, 2862 and AP910Cs. I have tried different channels, bandwidth settings, RSSI settings, etc.. I get regular disconnections of lots of device types, even when they are right next to the router. A warm restart or toggling the wireless network off and on sorts the problem – for a few hours.

I called on DrayTek Support and they were helpful but their suggestions just didn't work. I have concluded that the problems lie not in my configuration but in the hardware and/or firmware. I'm now operating only with 2.4G (regretting the investment made in these expensive ac speed devices) and have scheduled my APs to restart in the middle of every night to avoid occasional problems on this frequency too.

We have used DrayTek products for over a decade but I'm now looking for alternatives that tick the same function and security boxes but actually work.

What concerns me deeply, besides the deterioration in product quality, is the fact that DrayTek seems to be unresponsive to the repeated problems aired on this forum, including from expert installers who have seen problems across a large number of devices, and one would think would be highly valued customers/advocates for the company. Here are a few other threads reporting similar problems:

https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23136
https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22462
https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23246
https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22739

It's a shame as there is much else to like about the products. If they would just tackle this issue head-on, I'm sure many people would stay loyal.

More
29 Mar 2020 10:49 #27 by paul.mcl
Replied by paul.mcl on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Sorry to jump on the bandwagon here but similar issues with a new 2862n running the latest firmware and using 2.4G WiFi. I bought if for some home use VPN but the WiFi is woeful compared to an old PlusNet supplied DSL WiFi router. Like the others a disconnect/reconnect of the WiFi or reboot fixes it. Symptoms are clients start to loose internet connectivity, further testing reveals WiFi clients can connect to each other (ping, VNC etc) but cannot ping or connect to the router at all or at best it is intermittent. Wired clients can connect to the router without issue and access the internet. Timing to occur usually over a few hours after reconnect or reboot.

I have been trying different settings and back to default but haven’t raised a ticket and not sure it is worth it. I would expect the WiFi to work ‘out the box’ as my demands are not great it’s a home setup.

I’ll keep reading and testing but with everyone in the house due to COVID unresponsive WiFi is not proving too popular.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2020 17:27 #28 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Have you any iOS devices? I just keep wondering if iOS is causing the issue. I just can't understand why this is ongoing and Draytek haven't noticed. Is the 2862 ok for the non wireless stuff?
On the verge of ordering the 2926ac, but basically not using the wifi on it, at least until a firmware fixes it.

If it helps, with a 2860, I ended up ordering a powerline adapter and/or an extender (tp-link) which results in a new 2.4/5 ghz network. Annoying that we have to do this though.

More
02 Apr 2020 17:33 #29 by andrew2010
Replied by andrew2010 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
We have lots of iOS and MacOs devices on the network. All drop out on WiFi and it's been happening on 2.4GHz a lot recently too.

With a wired connection, no problems usually.

Personally, I would not buy a 2862 unless this gets sorted – certainty not if I was going to rely on it for WiFi.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2020 17:34 #30 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
The 2862ac copes admirably with multiple VPNs, streaming and overall internet usage (especially during this WFH period we are all in), good failover features etc etc but for Wi-Fi it's a no no unless it is used standalone... I have had to employ 3 x AP910 APs in my house, when I should really be able to use the 'ac' part of the 2862 as one of my APs, instead I have an AP910 sitting in place and the 2862ac Wi-Fi completely disabled. I must have been through about 8 firmware updates since I've owned the 2862ac and none of them have resolved the Wi-Fi issues or have even come close to it. I have similar issues with an AP910 & 2860 environment too.