Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac WiFi Problems

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2020 17:38 #31 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Yeah, we need to drop the Draytek wifi as part of any home/small office solution. Good you bought a Dryatek access point, but I'm not going to put all my eggs in their basket - in fact not any of my wifi eggs at all. Will look at tp-link mesh or others, and a 2926 as the main router/firewall. Sorry Draytek. Been going on too long, and ignored.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2020 18:13 #32 by paul.mcl
Replied by paul.mcl on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Plenty of iOS here as well, it’s a just a normal house wired PC’s, Android, Chromebook, iOS. I have now turned off the Draytek WiFi and I am using the PlusNet DSL router solely as a WiFi hotspot and all is good. Not ideal and I have raised a return with Amazon and have till the start of June to get it back for a refund. I like the feature set just not the issues I am experiencing so will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

• matty-uk_1978
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jun 2020 13:27 #33 by matty-uk_1978
Replied by matty-uk_1978 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
It’s disappointing to read this forum post and learn that it has not been fixed by DrayTek. This is the problem I’ve been having since purchase/installation of my Vigor 2862Vac in May 2020. I did raise a support call within two weeks of my installation and supplied times and logs as to when I had to reboot the router to get devices working again. I have not found DrayTek support to be helpful, they haven’t suggested anything to be honest and all my troubleshooting I have done has been on my own initiative. This is clearly a common problem and perhaps explains why DrayTek support have been ignoring my request for updates to my support call.

My router and Wi-Fi are stable right now and I’ve not had to reboot since making my last set of changes since Monday (5 full days). However, my last changes I made in my attempt to pin point my issue was to disable 5Ghz Wi-Fi and also remove the Band Steering configuration on 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. Obviously this is not how I want to leave the configuration. I see a few more tests I can do to hopefully pin point my issue more, so I’ll be trying them next.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jun 2020 15:11 #34 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
I switched mine on last night for the first time in months. I now have the luxury of being able to play around with the settings, to see if anything alters the weird dropping wifi, as I'm using an ISP's router for the time being (not my preference).

I did a factory reset, and still the issues are present. Loaded the previous config, still there too.

More
29 Jun 2020 21:05 #35 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
n.b. if any of you have "band steering" enabled, turn it off and see if it improves matters. It's a nice concept but too some clients won't play nicely.

Forum Administrator

• matty-uk_1978
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jul 2020 17:10 #36 by matty-uk_1978
Replied by matty-uk_1978 on topic Re: 2862ac WiFi Problems
Update from me, my system is now stable !!

First, I enabled 5GHz and gave it a different name and that’s when I found a issue I was not seeing when the names matched. Some of my devices could not see the 5GHz wifi name even though they are 5GHz capable. My 5GHz had auto picked channel 100 and my devices just don’t like it. Some research later and I fixed the channel to 36.

I’ve run for days without problems (*), mixing my devices between 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi networks. Next I switched back to the same name and band steering and again everything has been stable.

I had a phone call from DrayTek regarding my support call since I last posted and while speaking to the guy he mentioned DrayTek routers pick a random high channel when auto selecting 5HGz Wi-Fi. When I did a scan all 5GHz channels in use around me were using the lower channels. Therefore, my recommendation to anyone having issues is don’t use auto select for the 5GHz Wi-Fi channel and pick a low channel.

* I have some smart plugs that do not play nicely with band steering and they drop off the network within 24 hours (I had to disable 5GHz temporarily to get them on the network in the first place). Therefore, I have a hidden SID just operating on 2.4GHz to cater for these devices.