DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820N 3.3.0

• briain
  • User
  • User
More
27 Nov 2009 18:21 #73 by briain
Replied by briain on topic Wireless issues; resolution at last!
Hi Folks

I really hate to say this here, but I got so totally hacked off with terrible wireless problems (see my various other posts about it elsewhere in this forum) that 3 months ago, thought I'd try an older style Cisco 1200 WAP (about £50 from eBay) and I just couldn't believe how great the wireless performance and reliability were when compared to the Draytek. I have put up with massive wireless problems for a year, and this older Cisco WAP solved all of them over night; the difference was just totally unbelievable. I was so impressed that I've recently bought the current Cisco WAP (AP 1252) as even though I don't need wireless 'n', the MIMO has significantly improved the more 'distantly located' 802.11g clients (they work reliably at 54 where previously they'd only function at 9 or 18 MB).

I just can't believe how great wireless can actually be when the WAP works correctly; even a Logitech Duet actually works here now (I got that hacked off that I sold mine, I've just had it back to be updated, tried it via the Cisco WAP prior to updating it and it is absolutely solid; it looks very much like it was the 2820 that was causing that particular set of problems). I've never seen a Duet actually working properly before; I didn't think that was actually possible (I still wouldn't get another Duet though).

Sorry Draytek, I'm simply not going to bother enabling the wireless part of my 2820 ever again. Don't get me wrong, I still think that the Dratyek 2820 router is absolutely magnificent (it will be there in my network for a long while, and I still strongly recommend it to others too) but the wireless part is just something you just disable and forget about.

PS Apologies if Draytek have fixed some of these wireless issues in 3.3.3; I really hope they have (though the above posts imply they might not have cracked it quite yet) but I’ve found an easier way to get wireless working properly (all be it an expensive route to take); plug a Cisco WAP into your Draytek 2820vN and never have any wireless problems ever again.

Bri :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• briain
  • User
  • User
More
27 Nov 2009 18:25 #74 by briain
Replied by briain on topic Re: Wireless issues; resolution at last!
Sorry, hit quote button instead of edit button; when can we have a delete post button?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.